Frequently Asked Questions

Most frequent questions and answers

My Aged Care is the starting point to access government-funded support for all your support needs. Many older Australians are not aware that they are eligible for subsidised care, at IES we want to help you get the support you deserve; whether you need help with your gardening, getting to and from the shops or require more advance support we can devise a Support Plan that will best suit your needs. Contact us for more information on how we can support you. 

My Aged Care eligibility is based on your support needs as determined through a face-to-face assessment (ACAT), but you must also be:

  • An older person who needs coordinated services to help them stay at home: 65 years or older, or 50 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (in some cases 45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people),
  • A younger person with disability, dementia or other support needs not met through other specialist services.

For more information on My Aged Care funding and eligibility contact us on (08) 6297 0737, via our online enquiry form bellow or via our email Alternatively, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 

My Aged Care allows you to access specialised support services through approved service providers. Under My Aged Care, you can receive funding and subsidies to access a variety of support services tailored to your support needs. The services you can access range from community-based social support to in-home support and other health assistance. For information on how to apply contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or via their website

For information on how IES can help you get the support you deserve, contact us on (08) 6297 0737, via our online enquiry form or via our email

Depending on the level of Home Care Package you receive, you can get assistance with services such as:

Services that keep me well and independent

  • Personal Care: Help with showering, self-care, hygiene and grooming
  • Nursing: Wound management or help with medicines
  • Allied Health and therapy services: Health and therapy services e.g. Podiatry, physiotherapy, occupational therapy
  • Specialised support: help for people with particular conditions e.g. vision impairment, dementia
  • Meal preparation and diet: Help with feeding, meal preparation and using eating utensils.

Services that keep me safe in my home

  • Domestic assistance: help with basic chores around the house
  • Home maintenance: keeping your home and garden safe
  • Home modifications: changes to your home to improve safety and access e.g. ramps and rails
  • Goods, equipment and assistive technology: Items to help you get around or adapt e.g. walking frame, shower chair

Services that allow me to interact with my community

  • Transport: Community transport, transport to appointments
  • Social support: Social activities in a community-based group setting or accompaniment

For more information on which option/s will be most suitable for you, please contact us on (08) 6297 0737, via our online enquiry form here or via our email Alternatively, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or via their website. 

You can apply for a My Aged Care package via referral from your regular GP or local health care professional (such as IES), or you can self-refer via the MAC website

You may find it easier to call My Aged Care and talk to a friendly staff member about your needs. If you are eligible to apply, they will organise your face-to-face assessment (ACAT). An ACAT assessment is a comprehensive assessment with an Aged Care Assessment Team member. This health professional will assess your physical, psychological, medical, restorative, cultural and social needs and help you and your carers access appropriate levels of support. For more information on how to apply contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

For any face-to-face assessment, you should:

  • Have your Medicare card and one other form of ID proof – such as DVA card, driver’s license, healthcare card, or passport, 
  • Have a copy of any referrals from your doctor,
  • Consider if you would like a support person or advocate present,
  • Have any information you already have about aged care services that you may want to discuss,
  • Have contact details for your GP or other health professionals,
  • Consider if you need special assistance to communicate, such as a translator, Auslan interpreter, guide dog, etc.,
  • Have information on any support you receive.

Before starting, your assessor will ask if you agree to have the assessment. They may also ask for your permission to talk to people who support you, such as family or your carer. There may be a form to fill out and your assessor will talk to you about your needs.

The assessor will have a copy of the information you (or a health professional) gave to My Aged Care (via the phone or referral). This gives them an idea of what support you might need to help you return to or keep the level of independence needed to manage your day-to-day life at home. They’ll also ask about:

  • What support you already have, and if it will continue,
  • Your health, lifestyle and any health concerns,
  • How you’re going with completing daily tasks and activities around the home,
  • If you have problems with your memory,
  • Any issues relating to home and personal safety,
  • Family and community activities,
  • Speaking to your GP or other health professionals.

Like IES, your assessor will work with you to develop your Support Plan. The Support Plan records what you discussed and agreed during your assessment such as:

  • Your strengths,
  • Your difficulties,
  • Your goals,
  • What you would like to achieve,
  • What preferences you have for your services.

Your Support Plan sets out the support and services that will best assist you. This support may be available from service providers, or it may already be available to access in your community. It may also be things that help you regain confidence and ability to resume or sustain daily activities.

For more information contact us on (08) 6297 0737, via our online enquiry form or via our email

The recent reform to My Aged Care allows you more control over the support that you receive, whether it be choosing a provider or changing providers, the reform puts the power in your hands. The reform ensures all service providers must allow you to change your home care package to suit your current needs and be transparent on their pricing of supports and services provided.

For more information about how the reform affects you and your care package or if you are looking to change providers, contact us on (08) 6297 0737, via our online enquiry form or via our email .

Alternatively, visit the My Aged Care website via or call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

We have flexible Plans to suit your needs, if you require a service to be removed or additional services to be added, please contact our friendly team. You may also wish to ‘top up’ your services or simply use our services on a fee-per-service basis if you are not eligible for My Aged Care or NDIS.

If you would like to discuss the addition or removal of services to your Support Plan, or are thinking of changing providers please contact us on (08) 6297 0737, via our online enquiry form or via our email

For more information on My Aged Care and how our services can support you, contact a friendly team member on (08) 6297 0737, use our online enquiry form or get in touch via email

For further resources and fact sheets, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care website


We would love to meet you! Please contact us
via email, phone, our contact form or drop into
our office during our temporary office hours.
Address: Level 1 Suite 1 / 38 Main Street, Ellenbrook WA 6069
Phone: (08) 6297 0737


For more information on IES, NDIS and My Aged  Care, please visit our FAQ section. Be sure to visit  our Facebook Page to keep up to date with our latest news and events!